Thursday, February 3, 2011

WOD: Meet my friend Karen

My workout of the day:

"Karen"

150 wall ball shots for time.  

My dear friend, meet the wall ball:
(from kettlebellblogger.com)

Today, my friends, I used a 14 pound wall ball and threw it approximately 8.5 feet high against a wall starting in a squat position.  150 times.  Glorious.  All in eight minutes and 17 seconds.  Breaks were necessary, I got a bit lazy at one points, but I plowed on through. (Granted, I should get it 10 feet high against the wall, but I'm working on it).

Karen is a tough girl, gets me breathless and sweating, but I have to say, Karen makes me feel incredibly accomplished and strong.  And she gets me pretty sexy!  

You can watch a tutorial on wall ball shots here.  It's long, but informative.  If you try Karen, post your time!  I love some healthy competition.

Other part of my workout: deadlifts.  Today, I deadlifted 160 pounds, 5 reps, and could have done more.  Just about thirty pounds more than my bodyweight.  I just have to repeat: I officially can deadlift more than my bodyweight!  I feel like a rockstar.  Which is great, considered the snow in the northeast has turned me a bit into a snow bum.  But now, I'm getting back on my game, down to some serious business.

On a more personal note, I made word clouds of what my sixth grade students' impressions of Africa were before we started studying the continent, and their impressions of Africa after we finished our semester long study.  Words they associated with Africa before my class included: "poverty," "The Lion King," "safari," "hot," and "elephant."  Words they associate with Africa now? "Empires," "tribes," "Sahara," "Sahel,""bronze casting," and "Queen Nzinga," to name a few.  I am so psyched.  They listened to me!  They learned!  Overall, it was a pretty sweet day.

What have you accomplished lately, physically or otherwise?

No comments:

Post a Comment