Sunday, February 20, 2011

Goals and Accountability

At CRCF, we have a lovely new addition: a goals board.  Here, we can write down our performance goals and a date by which we wish to meet these goals.



Isn't it beautiful?  I'm a big fan of the different colored chalk.  It must be the teacher in me.


Anyway, I decided this was the perfect opportunity to solidify the goal I've had for a long time: to be able to do a pull up.  Or a few.  So, I decided to dream big:



Yes -- my goal is ten consecutive pull ups by June 27, my 27th birthday.  I'm terrified.  At the time I made this goal, I felt pretty smug and brazen -- I was feeling pretty cocky (or maybe stupid) as I wrote my goal on the "chalkboard." In that small moment, I felt invincible and believed that I could take on anything!  Now, it seems daunting and I'm petrified of failing.  Maybe I should have played it safe and gone with five consecutive pull ups instead.  But, I felt silly changing it after I wrote it, like I would be completely copping out.  And I'm a pretty stubborn girl.  So now, I have a pretty big (but simple) challenge to face.

Good news towards that goal: I've graduated from using the green resistance band to help me with my pull ups to the blue resistance band.  A small victory!  After the blue resistance band I'll have to face the  red band, and then it's just my own upper body strength.  I have roughly 4 months and one week to make it.  Eek!


But, I think I can do it.  I've already come up with a plan for my birthday: a morning CRCF workout where I start with my ten pull ups and complete whatever WOD Melissa and Erik have in store, followed by a massage at The Boston Bodyworker and a mani/pedi somewhere in the area.  (Suggestions welcome).

I'm sure with all your help, I'll be able to make it there.  I've now made it very public, which will hold me accountable to following through with this.

Any goals that you've set lately?  Or any goals that you've met?

10 comments:

  1. My goal is to try and eat breakfast in the morning. Not a physical goal, but something I really need to do. I found this product. What do you think of the nutrition facts?

    http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/emerald/breakfast-on-the-go---tropical-blend-trail-mix

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it!

    I'm psyched about the fact that we're all writing on the "magic" wall and holding ourselves accountable. It's a strong tool for getting things done.

    My goals are to stay Paleo/Primal for 30 days. Yesterday was my first day and it felt REALLY good to make a dent and get off the sugar CRACK!

    I am shooting to get my first kipping pullup by March 17 (St. Patrick's day) I'm not even Irish, but it just seems like a good deadline for this. My husband, Mitch, has decoded the kipping pulllup and is really getting better by the week. It looks like fun, but at this point, it isn't coming easy.

    Are you trying to get a straight pullup or a kipping? I can't get a straight pullup either. I use the bands at this point.

    Bets

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elena,
    What are the ingredients in the granola? I think as long as you can pronounce every ingredient and there's nothing artificial, having it a few mornings a week is a positive start. I would make sure to be careful how much you eat, since a serving has 8 grams of sugar -- that could add up quickly! I'd recommend mixing it with some berries and Greek Yogurt. Eating breakfast is a great goal!

    Bets,
    I love your goals! I need to get off my sugar addiction, too! Each day, I feel like I make strides, and then I get thrown for a loop, usually with social eating. I also got in the horrible habit of buying Dunkin Donuts coffee in the mornings and adding the mocha flavoring -- I think I finally broke it! March 17 is a great goal for a kipping pull up! I actually left that part purposely vague, in case kipping or straight came easier. I cannot figure out a kipping pull up to save my life. But then again, straight pull ups are a mystery to me as well. It's time for me to work on my goats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goal is to get consecutive double-unders by the ides of March. This may seem easy for some, but I have some strange mental disconnect when it comes to executing the damned things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Double-unders... I could put that also. Always trying to work on them. I initially assumed it would just come together in a day but then realized it wasn't that simple (for me)

    Elena,
    I hear it's always best to have protein with each meal. One of the many reasons is that it makes the meal really stay with you. Maybe an egg, or piece of lean chicken on the side. We have fruit cup almost every morning: blueberries, strawberries and banana (sometimes kiwi or papaya is added) I always put a handful of sliced almonds and sometimes almond milk (like a bowl of fruit cereal) I feel weird now if I don't have my fruit in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I second the protein with breakfast tip. It makes a huge difference.

    My goal is 200# squat by June 1st. This was an old goal I let slip with the opening of the new gym. I need all of your help with this too. I will keep you all on track if you keep me on track!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My goal is to string consecutive DU's by 4/30/2011.

    Frank

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gonna finish the dishes and get ready to watch GLEE.

    Lindsey, your blog is such a positive spot to check out at the end of the day.

    Melissa - We will be tracking you right to that 200# squat. Would love to be there when you hit it.

    2011 is going to be a big year for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bets, I'm watching Glee too! I need to add double unders to my list as well!

    Phoebe, open platform is a great idea! I'll be there on March 13! What a great place to support each other. Who's in?

    Elena -- I'm a big fan of apples or bananas with almond butter and Greek Yogurt with lots of berries. I also eat eggs for breakfast every weekend.

    I also want to iterate my public goal of getting my primal eating on track, and I need to kick the sugar habit. 2011 is going to be a great year!

    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just saw this link--better late than never right? Here goes:


    1) 15 unbroken pullups (kipping ok) - 4/1/11
    2) 18 deadhang pullups - 6/1/11
    3) Villain Challenge #5 (http://strengthvillain.com/?p=295) -8/1/11

    ReplyDelete