Wednesday, February 16, 2011

New Motto: ERF

(from http://www.bobgarontraining.com)

I'm sure you can guess that I'm a huge fan of reading the New York Times.  Last Tuesday, food blogger Mark Bittman wrote an editorial in response to the new USDA food guidelines.  In "Is 'Eat Real Food' Unthinkable?" Bittman discusses the pitfalls of the new food guidelines, pointing out that they are too vague, especially in its message of telling Americans to "avoid solid fats and added sugars, or SOFAS."  But, as Bittman points out, what the hell does that mean?  Unfortunately, part of the USDA's initiative to to encourage us to eat highly processed foods that are just processed with more fiber and "healthy fat" additives.  And while we are urged to eat more fruits and veggies, Bittman points out that the easiest way to fix our food issues is to actually cook, and he feels that the USDA has a responsibility to emphasize this point more than the report did.  However, telling Americans to actually eat truly healthy foods would offend too many food lobbyists.  In Bittman's eyes, eating fake, chemically-laden, processed foods won't cut it, no matter how "healthy" these foods are supposed to be.  So, Bittman proposes that we ERF: Eat Real Food.  According to Bittman, "The truly healthy alternative to that chip is not a fake chip; it’s a carrot. Likewise, the alternative to sausage is not vegan sausage; it’s less sausage. This is really all pretty simple, and pretty clear....You want an acronym? Let’s try ERF: Eat Real Food."

 zazzle.com

Overall, I really like Bittman's message and ideas -- it goes along with Primal/clean eating, his message is clear and simple, and he even cites Michael Pollan.  But while I hate to admit it, I still struggle with what I should be eating and what constitutes "real food," even though it seems obvious that real food = food in its most natural form = meat, fruits, veggies, nuts.   I think part of the problem is that I still have those messages in the back of my brain where I believe that I have to eat the burger and the fries to prove that I'm a real person.  Eating clean is taboo in most social circles, and I'm not playing by the rules if I eat the salad.  (Although I haven't eaten a burger since July, and I feel fine about it).  Also important: I struggle with what an "okay" cheat is.  Most days, my "cheats" are chocolate, cheese, greek yogurt, natural half and half, or the occasional peanut butter (not all in the same day, but I do eat dairy daily).  But there are times when the gluten monster kicks in, and as I've said before, I've been known to eat cake, scones, ice cream, or other highly processed, wheat-filled, and super sugary foods.  By eating these foods, am I betraying my values?  Betraying clean eating?  Or am I doing what is "normal" and "socially acceptable?"  Am I simply eating in moderation (whatever that means)?  Are my "good" cheats really bad cheats?  Is it realistic to eliminate all cheats (the good and the bad) from my diet?  Or am I setting myself up for failure?
I do know that I feel like I still have too much body fat, and I want to be as lean and muscle-y as possible, and that this goal won't be realistic if I don't eat clean.  But, it won't happen until I make a commitment and figure out what it is to Eat Real Food (check out this advice for eating real food here).  Some days, it's easier than others, but I refuse to excuse my food habits -- I just want to figure out how to eat!

Do you ERF?  What are your thoughts on cheats, especially cheat foods that are highly processed?  Is it okay in moderation, or unacceptable?



No comments:

Post a Comment