Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Does something smell fishy?


In my desire to be a clean, healthy, Primal eater, I've decided that I should incorporate more fish in my diet.  My problem: I don't particularly like seafood, and I've never liked fish.  I always found it to be tasteless, bland, and with a chewy consistency that I couldn't stand.  Plus, fish can smell funny, and as a child, seeing whole fish in the grocery store with eyes still intact used to terrify me.  The only way I could stand fish was if it was battered, fried, and smothered in tartar sauce.


But now, that just looks and sounds disgusting.  My stomach hurts looking at it.  Yuck.  (Yes, I am turning into an elitist food snob, and the picture above is unappetizing.  I never thought that would happen!).

But I'm reaching the point where I'd like to start eating more fish.  I'm just not quite sure where to start.

My husband has marinated tuna steaks for us in the past, and after eating them a couple of times, I've enjoyed them.  But other than that, I'm pretty clueless.  What are good kinds of fish to eat that aren't too fishy?  How do I prepare it to make it taste, well, tasty?  What kind of fish should the girl who loves steak and chicken try?  How do I get over my fear of fish and start eating it?


4 comments:

  1. I have 2 fishy ideas for your dinners.
    Try a variation of this recipe I found online sometime: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/moqueca_-_brazilian_fish_stew/ (substitute grated cauliflower rice for real rice).
    Here's restaurant in Cambridge that only serves variations of this dish. I really want to go sometime: http://www.muquecarestaurant.com/


    Also, a fast, easy delicious one I've been addicted to for the past weeks is this: Pick up "Captn's Pack shrimp wonton soup (100 cal per box)" in the Whole foods freezers section. Throw it in a pot with any amount of chicken or fish broth and a few fillets of sole or tilapia. Heat it up on Medium until it just starts to boil a little. By this point, the sole will be just poached and the perfect piece of non overcooked fish. Throw in some baby spinach or chopped, precooked baby broccoli at the end and serve. It has greens, protein, it's hot , filling a yummy. A few hits of chili sauce is a great touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bets! I'm excited for new recipes -- I'll let you know how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nutritional info. Usually, I'm the queen of reading the labels on everything I eat. Strangely, I didn't even think to read more than facts about the calorie count on the wonton soup. I knew it wasn't a "clean" food, but I figured, 5 wonton wrappers aren't going to be my big downfall in life. But, be aware that there is sugar and probably too many strange ingredients for such a simple looking soup.

    I just figure, of all the splurge foods to take, this one really isn't too bad at all.

    I'd be curious what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the heads up, Bets! I am also terrible at looking at food labels. Often times, it's picking and choosing battles. How's Paleo/Primal eating coming along?

    ReplyDelete