Thursday, February 24, 2011

Stick it to the man! WOD included!

I finally did it.  I quit the gym.  (The Boston Sports Club, to be more specific).  And it feels great.

Let's have a chat about the gym/health fitness center for a second.  Like most people, I joined a gym so I could exercise and "be healthy."  But with the exception of meeting a few great trainers and a great spin instructor, my experience with BSC was lackluster at best.  Initially, I had significant problems with a trainer and a membership coordinator, and the managers were hesitant to handle my issues effectively.  Yet for some reason, I continued to give money to this evil corporate conglomerate, mostly because I didn't know where else to go.  The facilities were dirty, there were frequent problems with the plumbing, the classes weren't that challenging, and even though I was hitting up the elliptical for at least 45 minutes a day, my body wasn't changing.  It was a frustrating, vicious cycle. The gym is incredibly isolating, and even though I tried to create a network of friends, it's hard to get support from others while you're pounding on the treadmill or the only person doing some deadlifts.  Also, when most people at the gym think the best way to get in shape is to lift 5 pound weights and do an hour of cardio, it's hard to push yourself beyond that.

But when I was exposed to the CrossFit world and decided to join Erik and Melissa at CRCF, I assumed I would keep my BSC membership.  I mean, there might be that off chance when I decided to take a spinning class or hop in the pool, right?
After going to CrossFit two days a week for a few weeks, I decided I didn't feel like going to the BSC.  CrossFit is a little bit like Cheers, "where everybody knows your name." I'd be greeted emphatically by a trainer, foam roll with other CrossFitters, and share our latest fitness triumphs or about our work days.  We challenge each other during WODs and support each other if a WOD got tough (which, let's face it, is every WOD). Walking into BSC, I'd be lucky if I was greeted by yet another front desk personnel who had no clue who I was, and then I'd enter a dirty locker room, and after changing, I'd stand on the floor of the gym, staring into the abyss of weight machines, treadmills and ellipticals, and feel lost.  It wasn't fun.  The last time I went to the Boston Sports Club to work out, I entered the gym, looked around like a sad puppy, ran back out, and went straight to CrossFit to increase my membership.  And finally, I quit the BSC (while wearing my CRCF shirt, I must add).  And leaving there felt great.  I stuck it to the corporate man and said, "I don't need your crappy gym anymore.  In fact, I am fitter, happier, and healthier without it."

If anything, I'm learning that exercise doesn't need to be isolating, long, or boring.  In fact, exercise should be none of those things.  I love CrossFit because there's never a dull moment, there are always people around who are excited to be there, and in just an hour, I work so much of my body and challenge it in ways I never thought were possible.  Plus, I'm lazy, and trying to come up with a workout was always difficult for me at the gym.  Now, having a WOD means all the planning is done for me.  Plus, working out with other people makes me work out harder, and having the timer tick away is an added incentive to work as hard as I can.

When I started this journey and this blog, I never meant for it to be a "omgIheartCrossFitandyoushouldtoo," type of thing.  Well, it's turning into that, basically because I'm pretty obsessed, and personally, it's the most fun and effective workout I've ever had, and I'm stronger than I ever thought I could possibly be.  But I also want this to be a place where I can share general health and fitness information that extend beyond my local CrossFit.  I hope that anyone, regardless of them being a member at CRCF, can take something away from my blog.  At the same time, readers, CrossFit and CRCF will come up a lot.  Just sayin'!

On that note, you should try my latest, favorite WOD, courtesy of CRCF.  I love this WOD because you can do it anywhere, and with the warm weather coming, it's a great way to get outside.

Four rounds of:
400 m run
50 squats

for time

Try to find a hill and run uphill and downhill.  It makes a fun WOD, especially if you can do it with someone else!
(Find more WODs here.  I'll mention more in the future!)

No comments:

Post a Comment