Saturday, June 16, 2012

Primal Quiche

All week, my husband has been craving quiche.   In fact, he mentioned his desire to eat quiche multiple times each day.  Begrudgingly, I decided to take the hint.  I've never been much of a quiche eater, and post-baby, I've started to kick my paleo/primal eating into high gear (more on that in a future post).  So the thought of making and eating quiche did not settle well with me; in fact, I couldn't cook something that would sabotage my recharged food efforts.  At the same time, it gave me a new food challenge, and I decided there had to be a way to make it a bit more paleo friendly.
A lot of recipes I found were for crustless quiche, but to me, that seemed to take all the fun out of eating quiche.  Then I discovered this recipe for paleo quiche.  The recipe is written in a blog format with a video, but here's the gist:

For the crust:
1 cup almond meal
1 large egg (mine was from a local farm)
1/4 cup grated parmesan  (I bought mine aged at a local market and grated it myself.  I also had to hold Eleanor while grating it, so I think I ended up with almost 1/3 cup).  I know that cheese isn't really paleo, but trust me, the parmesan is worth it.

Mix ingredients together until it forms a paste.  Grab a pie tin and grease it.  I used local butter, but I'm guessing you could substitute coconut oil.  It didn't take much, so you can use it sparingly.

Press crust mix into pan; spread out with fingers.

Bake crust at 375 for 10-15 minutes until the edges brown.

For the actual quiche, put everything else you want in the crust before the eggs.  For our quiche, I quickly sauteed some broccoli and shallots and mixed them with some really delicious cheddar cheese and diced ham steak.  Okay, I've been mostly kicking my cheese habit, but I decided to have a cheat with some great aged cheddar.  But really, you could put in anything you wish to eat in the quiche -- mushrooms, peppers, onions, eggplant, chicken, steak, and so forth.  Use your imagination.

Then I scrambled five large eggs.  You can add a tablespoon or two of cream or whole milk to the egg mixture, but because I had cheese, I opted not to.  I also added a pinch of salt, but feel free to be more creative with other herbs or spices.  Pour egg mixture into the pie pan over the other food and bake at 375 for about 20 minutes, until the center is firm.

The quiche was a hit, and my husband said the crust was delicious.  I thought it was pretty awesome too.

Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture of said delicious quiche, but I did capture many adorable photos of Eleanor, who kept herself busy while I was cooking (part of the time).



I have no idea why my pretty little lady insists on sitting sideways in her Bumbo, but she loves it.  She must know it terrifies me.

It was nice to make a meal other than grilled meat and veggies for dinner, and overall, it was an easy effort.  Plus, it was a great excuse to have coffee with dinner!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment