Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Me, fat?

This was precisely the question I asked myself when I stepped on the scale the summer between sophomore and junior year of college at the gym.
How could it be?  I occasionally worked out, I walked over a mile to get to work, and while I frequently indulged in the Starbucks mocha and the brownie, the exercise should burn that off -- right?  Calories in, calories out, or something like that.  Besides, I bought a lot of my groceries from Whole Foods, so didn't that mean I was automatically healthy?
Clearly, my denial and justification of my poor eating habits hurt me in the worst way, with a weight gain of nearly 25 pounds.  I was now considered overweight.
I'm apparently not the only one who's dealt with this dilemma.  According to msnbc.com, while 68 percent of Americans are overweight or obese, only 11 percent believe they are.
Part of the problem, the article cites, is that between the granola bars, 100 calorie packs, and fat free ice cream, we aren't eating healthy, even though we think we are.
One of the biggest problems is that we're eating too much sugar.  Sugar is measured in grams, and Americans (myself included) really have no idea how much a gram is.  Women aren't supposed to consume more than 40 grams of sugar in a day.  Hm.  Perhaps too much sugar contributed to my significant weight gain in college (although I'm sure other factors were involved).  But how am I doing now?  Do I still eat too much sugar?  To get some clarity, I decided to look in my fridge.  I've already made some steps to switch over the foods I eat, but I honestly don't check food labels the way I should.  So here goes a look at my Chobani yogurt...
Nine grams doesn't seem awful -- but given I put about a teaspoon of honey in my morning yogurt (which is about 8 grams of sugar), that's nearly half my sugar consumption at breakfast -- and that doesn't include the sugar in the fruit I add to it.  Yikes!
Wake up call.  I know I'm addicted to sugar, and I've been trying to cut back for the past six months.  Last week, I finally made the commitment to not put any sugar in my coffee.  I'm not going to lie -- I miss the sugar, but it gets easier every day.
Help me continue to cut out sugar!  Words of encouragement or thoughts on SAD (Standard American Diet) welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment