Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Biggest Loser?

Last night, I put on The Biggest Loser.  I have mixed feelings about the show, but I love Alison Sweeney, and  I'm interested to see the exercise and food philosophy the show has.
The snippet I watched had recipes from Curtis Stone.  I love trying new recipes, and was excited for this segment.  The acorn squash and arugula salad he made looked great!  But he lost me at the dessert, which was poached pears smothered in apple cider and fresh squeezed orange juice (from an actual orange -- not a can).  I can completely forgive Curtis for making a a recipe with juice, but then he made a comment to the contestant about what a great dessert this was, especially since there was no sugar in this recipe.  No sugar???  Are you kidding me???

Looking up New York Cider nutrition information,

Thirty grams of sugar in 8 ounces of cider.  Women are not supposed to consume more than 40 grams a day; for men, sugar consumption should be no more than 50 or 60 grams.  I'm sure I'll have more to say on The Biggest Loser in the future.

How can Curtis Stone claim there's no sugar in his recipe?  The Biggest Loser -- you lose big time for this one.  I'm disappointed that they are misleading and misrepresenting the food they cook.  

No comments:

Post a Comment