Sunday, January 30, 2011

Food in social settings

(image from johnbarban.com)

Perhaps the hardest part about choosing to revamp my dietary choices has not been changing the food I eat itself (although it was difficult at first).  It's been how other people react to my dietary changes, and it's made me think a lot about how food is, in so many ways, a part of our social engagement with one another.  There's a whole culture surrounding food and its consumption, and suddenly, I'm breaking the rules.   I don't think most people would bat an eye if each meal I shared with them lacked fruits and vegetables, but when I pick the hearty salad over the pizza, I make others uncomfortable.  Over the past few months, I've been accused of being anorexic, told I'm not eating adequate or proper foods, and people question why I choose not to eat "real food."  In some ways, I think it makes a lot of people I know uneasy.  I'm sure part of this is to justify their own food choices; for others, it's bad nutrition knowledge, and others are perfectly happy with the status quo of a Western diet; it's seen as being American; it's natural, normal, and safe.  But still, the social pressure is frustrating and challenging, especially when I visit other people's homes for meals.  Do I be upfront with people about what I'm willing to eat and not eat?  Do I grin and bear it, and deal with getting physically ill later?  (When I eat typical Western foods now, I get sick.)  Am I bratty for expecting others to accommodate for my food choices?  My family knows, and they do a wonderful job making sure I have plenty of food options (often times, it's as simple as me not eating the bread with a meal).  But for other people in my life, it doesn't seem as easy.  Since it's not "technically" a food allergy, I feel awkward demanding alternatives.  But is that wrong of me?  I'm not sure.  And it's honestly why I prefer inviting others to my home and cooking for them -- it's totally a control issue, and I don't want to have to justify myself to anyone.

(image from starchildglobal.com)

It also makes me realize how much food has shaped my relationship with other people.  In college, my friends and I gathered at the local Irish pub or Chili's for burgers and wings.  My grandmother and I used to share Oreos together and she'd always make me brownies.  In the evenings, my mother and I would take Tostitos and melt shredded cheese on them for instant nachos.  For breakfast, my mother would make the best french toast I've ever eaten.   My sister would mail me her special pumpkin bread.  Thinking about all these examples, I just get a warm and fuzzy feeling associated with them.  There are so many memories attached to these foods, and in many ways, it's cemented a bond between me and the person I shared them with.  Our relationships with food are so loaded, and it goes beyond eating what we eat simply for nutrition.

So, I don't know the best way to address food with others in my life.  I probably feel this way because I don't want to make other people uncomfortable.  But at this point, I don't necessarily want to make myself uncomfortable, either.   But some things I've realized or learned:
If it wasn't for revamping my diet, I wouldn't be able to buy workout pants like this:



I wouldn't be able to do this:

Or this:

And I'm certainly a happier person all around.  It's amazing how much my outlook on life and my mood has changed since eating a Primal/clean diet and working out with CrossFit.  But more on that next time.

How do you address food with the people in your life?  What's the best way to explain this dietary change?

4 comments:

  1. That rope is moving so fast you can't even see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness for CrossFit and CRCF! Otherwise, I would have never thought to have picked up a jump rope!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great insight! Eating is def a social dilemma when trying to eat clean!! I've been there many times. I have caved so many times just so I won't stick out and insult people. I don't have a solution for you but the more of us who choose to eat cleanly the less of a problem it will be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim,
    It's so hard! Sometimes I'm pretty resilient, but I often cave. There's a lot of pressure to follow the crowd. Hopefully, people will start to incorporate healthier foods into their diets to make it easier!

    ReplyDelete