Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Pregnancy Musings

- Everything you've every heard about pregnancy hormones is true.  I'm a pretty emotional girl, but there are days when my emotions have swept me away in a sea of fitful tears (crying at Teen Mom, for example. There's clearly something wrong with that).  Honestly, though, most of my meltdowns happen at Charles River CrossFit, especially after a WOD that I've found to be more challenging.
- I don't think "pregnancy brain" is a myth.  I'm definitely more forgetful than before.  Thankfully, my friends and family send reminders so I can stay on track with what I need to do in any given day.
-Thankfully, while I never had morning sickness of any kind, I've been extremely fatigued and was an insomniac during my first trimester.  Being tired + not being able to sleep = ironic combination.
- In terms of food, however, I find that I am a happier person if I graze throughout the day.  Smaller meals work for me.  I always have a Larabar in my purse for when I have an emergency food need.
- Still on food: when I get hungry, I need to eat.  Immediately.  There is no option for me to wait. Unfortunately, this means that I sometimes make bad food choices (because sometimes, the Larabar doesn't cut it).
- When I cut out grains and processed foods, I feel great. When I don't, I get all those icky pregnancy symptoms people talk about.  For me, I think it has to do more with my diet and less with pregnancy!  Making sure good food is available is key for me.
- But, I do get cravings for processed carbs and sugary foods.  It's frustrating, but I do my best to keep it in check.  It's gotten a little easier to curb in my second trimester.
- There are times when I don't know if it's more important for me to eat, sleep, or go to the bathroom.  In that sense, I feel like a baby myself.
- While I've only gained three pounds in 16 weeks, my body has changed so much!  My stomach is stretched and bigger.  I haven't needed maternity clothes yet, and I'm not really showing.  But, my skinny jeans are starting to give me serious muffin top.  Yikes.
- On that note, I'm trying to decide if I should invest in a Bellaband.  Thoughts, anyone?
- I kind of want to try on maternity clothes.  Is it too early?
- Exercising has definitely helped calm me down and keep me feeling in check.  But, it's also become my biggest challenge.  Some days, I have a great work out, and can still do each WOD Rx, but other days, I struggle through the warm up.  It's infuriating how inconsistent my performance can be, especially since I'm determined to keep on CrossFitting until the end of my pregnancy.  I don't like having to slow down.
- When I tell them I'm pregnant, people often have two reactions.  One is to rub my belly, which does not look pregnant.  The other is to tell me that I don't look pregnant at all.  I'm not sure how I feel about either reaction.
- People have become very protective of me.  Fellow CRCF put away my weights.  They encourage me to scale back my WODs.  I receive constant advice, when asked for it and not.  It's very sweet and charming.  I feel loved.
- I started looking into daycares, but it scared me.  So, I'm looking to put that off for awhile.
- I'm excited to get back to work and see my students.  Working at an all girls school, I know they are going to be so excited about a baby!
- I've developed some weird joint pain in my left thumb bone at the wrist.  Pregnancy related, or CF injury?  I'm not really sure, and I'd prefer it to go away.
- I love the e-mails from babycenter.com and thebump.com that I receive each week which compare the size of the baby to a fruit or vegetable.  Right now, this kid is the size of an avocado.  I can't believe he or she started out as a poppyseed!  They grow so quickly.
- I am absolutely in love with For Two Fitness and already own three of the ruched racerback tanks.  My dear friend and sisters bought me a few.  Even though I don't need them yet, I love, love, love wearing them to CRCF!  Seriously, how cute are they?


- I hope I look that fabulous with a bump!

3 comments:

  1. Maternity pants are so much more comfortable! Take advantage of wearing them as long as you can!

    As soon as you get pregnant, it's like you are initiated into this secret club of moms and that's all anyone can ever talk about to you anymore!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion!
    I do feel like I'm now in this secret club -- it's pretty exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt sooo much better once I started wearing maternity clothes (right around 3.5 months). Wished I would have made the switch earlier! As for the Bella Band, it didn't work for me but I know lots of people like it.

    ReplyDelete