Friday, August 12, 2011

How Pregnancy Cravings Work...

... at least for me.

A few weeks ago, at our Saturday trip to the farmers' market, as my husband and I purchased our lovely grassfed beef and local produce, I caught a whiff of the bagels from a stand.  All of a sudden, I needed to have one.

Me: Husband, I need a bagel immediately.
Husband: Really?  Do you even like bagels?  You haven't had one in awhile.
Me:  Yes, I know, but I need one now.
(Approach bagel stand)
Me: No, I probably shouldn't.
Husband:  There's nothing nutritious about them.  You don't need one.
Me:  You're right.  I've been Primal for so long.  I don't know what came over me.
(Leave market)
Me: I should have gotten a bagel.
Husband: (Shakes head).  Do you want to go back for one?
Me: No, no, no, it's okay.  Let's just get some coffee.

(Yes, I drink coffee pregnant, and yes, some caffeine is safe.  I usually do a cup or a cup and a half a day.  Sometimes I drink regular; sometimes I drink decaf.)

After each trip to the market, my husband and I ritualistically walk to our local Dunkin' Donuts for some coffee with milk.  A small iced is my preferred drink of choice; my husband prefers hot coffee but drinks iced in the summer.  I used to be the girl who drank at least three cups of coffee a day, so cutting back to a small took some adjusting, but I've managed just fine.

Once in DD, I start eyeing the bagels.
Me: Do I want a bagel?
Husband:  If you want one, get one.
Me: Nah, it's okay.  I don't think they even really taste that great.
Husband: You sure?
Me: Yes, yes, I'm fine.

(Leave Dunkin' Donuts and walk home)

Me: I should have gotten a bagel.
Husband: (shrugs).

We proceed to make a fabulous breakfast of bacon and eggs, get the kitchen organized, and decide to head to the CrossFit Regionals.  As we get in the car and start driving off, I turn to him and say:
Me: I really need a bagel.
Husband: Are you sure?
Me: Yes.  Please.  It's urgent.  I don't know what I'm ever going to do if I don't get a bagel now!
Husband sighs, and we park the car at Bruegger's.  I dash inside and order an everything bagel, toasted with cream cheese.  My husband orders one too.  I impatiently pace the store floor as I wait for my bagel to be toasted and greedily snatch it out of the hands of the clerk when he gives it to me.  We get into the car and I dive into bagel as quickly as possible.  Tears are practically streaming down my face, I'm so happy.  It's a euphoric moment.

A few minutes pass.

Husband: That bagel really wasn't very good.
Me: What are you talking about?!?!?!? That's the best thing I've eaten in forever!

So folks, I really wish I could be that person who was a super clean pregnant eater.  I confess, I'm not.  Sometimes, the cravings are so overwhelming, I don't know what to do but to give in.

So, my general rule of thumb is to still eat a primarily Primal diet, and limit a big craving to one a day.  Sometimes I have more; sometimes I stick to Primal.  It really depends on the day (and dare I blame this little Peanut?)

But, I try to make sure I always have food on me to try and offset a craving (Larabars can be my best friend at times).  I also try to take it one day at a time.  I don't eat bagels everyday, nor do I eat flour on a consistent basis.  I just try to find a happy medium that will work for me right now.  I'm confident that I will go back to my previous eating habits.

I think these cravings come, in part,  from not sleeping well.  While I've been fortunate enough to not have morning sickness, I became quite the insomniac during my first trimester.  Sugar and processed grains probably gave a quick and dirty insulin boost to keep me going, even though I mentally know those won't have great effects over the long term.  But sometimes, it's hard to convince your body of that.

But man, that bagel was pretty awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment