Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Frustrations

I hate to be one to complain, but I'm just frustrated.
At about week 8 of pregnancy, I developed an odd twinge in my left hand.  Occasionally, it was spasm, hurt for a minute, and then it would go away.  I just decided it was a bizarre pregnancy quirk, and figured it would be harmless.  Then, last week, it came back with a vengeance, to the point where I couldn't even do wall balls because it hurt too much to cradle the ball in my palm.  I've spent the past week significantly modifying my WODs and lowering weights.  For a push press yesterday, I stopped at 55 pounds instead of my usual 95 or 100 weight.  In hindsight, maybe I shouldn't have bothered push pressing at all.  Thrusters became front squats (with no hands!).  Cleans, snatches, push ups and handstand push ups are out of the question.  Plus, the weight I could lift pre-pregnancy and even in the early stages of pregnancy has decreased significantly.  I dropped my deadlift weight by 30 pounds today; my front squat weight by 35 (even before my wrist problems!)  I'm just bummed out.  It's hard enough slowing down my body from the changes that pregnancy bring, and I'm struggling with the fact that I have to modify, well, before I'll have to modify again to accommodate for my growing belly.  I'm desperate to deadlift and back squat over 200 pounds, to practice kipping pull ups, and to work on my snatches and overhead squats.  Feeling this limited is such a struggle for me.  I miss the days when I could give each WOD my all and collapse on the floor sweaty, exhausted, and out of breath.  I know I'm growing an amazing little person, and why I'm thrilled, it doesn't make these physical changes easier.  I'll give my doctor a call tomorrow and see if we can figure out what's up with this wrist.  And I scheduled a massage for Thursday to see if that might help at all.  If nothing else, it will make this momma-to-be happy and relaxed.  And I'll take it one step at a time.

Any thoughts on ways to overcome frustration?

3 comments:

  1. hey -

    Sounds like what I've been had going on in my wrist. RSI from typing, although I don't know how much typing you do for teaching. So, that might be a possibility. It also came on sort of gradually, then went away, and came back with a vengeance, but not with any real correlation with the amount of typing I do (i.e. it was not the case that when it went away I wasn't doing a lot of typing).

    Hope all is well otherwise! Many, many congrats again!

    Court

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just go with the flow, there is no sense beating yourself up about the things you are going to lose along the journey. You will lose a lot, probably more than you can imagine...but it will all come back with time, and, as you are holding your precious little one, you will realize, that in hindsight it was all worth it (and even more).

    Being desperate to get PRs and looking only at your numbers is only going to fuel the fire. Find things you CAN do and not feel limited. Maybe its a great time to work on rowing, running, buking, swimming, etc.

    Recovery back to your normal self isnt going to be overnight either - hell, it took me an entire year. If you start beating yourself up now, you wont stop in 6 months, it will keep going through your progress on getting back in shape and last the next 18 months. Now ask yourself, do you want to be mentally miserable for the next 18 months? And if so, will you be able to stop after 18 months? Just a thought :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lindsey - I keep going back and forth between feeling really frustrated about the compromises I'm having to make on my lifts and feeling really relaxed and almost relieved about it. My boyfriend has been really supportive and keeps reminding me that I can and likely will gain it all back plus some after Rocket is born. I guess I don't have any specific advice for coping other than giving you my full sympathy and encouraging you to keep doing what you are doing right which is focusing on having a healthy baby and healthy body!

    Good luck with the wrist, I have ongoing shoulder problems that I see two really excellent body workers for about once a month and I know how much pain can push you into the dumps. Are you icing your wrist daily?

    xx
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete