Monday, December 12, 2011

A step back

My ankle is coming along, although it still has a ways to go.  I decided to see my general practitioner on Friday to seek her counsel on my ankle.  She told me I could ditch the crutches, encouraged me to walk on it, but also said I needed to keep it elevated with ice at night and the air cast while I sleep.  It's been immensely liberating being off crutches, and I'm grateful to keep on healing.  Hopefully the soreness will fade soon, and I'll be back to my old self.
It's been quite an experience to have an injury in my third trimester.  While I miss my energy and my "go-go-go" ability, there is something slightly liberating about being forced to be on the couch with my feet up.  At night, I get to stare at our Christmas tree, listen to Christmas music or watch some television, and just be at peace, enjoying the calm and quiet.  I've also taken baths instead of showers lately, and there's nothing quite like soaking in warm water with lavender bath salts and sometimes getting the treat of seeing my lil' peanut wiggle and squirm.  At such a busy time of year, I've been able to find a sense of calm.  With just over four weeks until I'm full term and a little more than seven weeks to go, I'll embrace slowing down, centering myself, and getting ready for this one to make her entrance into the world.  With that said, I do hope to get back to some very modified workouts next week.  But for now, I'll take a good book, my cats, and a quiet evening.

1 comment:

  1. It's nice that you're embracing your downtime. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete