Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Recipe

Fish is good for you, and I'm making an effort to incorporate more fish into my diet.  Granted, I still get squeamish around seafood, but I am trying to increase my consumption of our seafaring friends.
With that said, I've always had an affinity for canned tuna.  Perhaps it was all the mayonnaise and pickles I mixed in it as a child, but I've always had a place in my heart for canned tuna fish sandwiches.  My brilliant husband thought it might be a good idea to convince me to actually eat fresh tuna steak since it's tastier than the canned stuff.  After a few tries, I've found that I love it, especially when grilled (albeit not for too long).

Enjoy this recipe that he's adapted -- it's perfect for summer grilling!

Tuna steaks:

Marinade 1 pound tuna fillet cut in two to three parts for at least 1/2 hour (1 to 2 recommended) in:

1/3 cup EVOO
juice from 1 lemon
1/2 cup chopped cilantro; plus additional chopped for garnish
3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 tablespoon paprika
1/2 tablespoon chili powder
sea salt and pepper to taste

In a bowl, mix together the EVOO, lemon juice, cilantro, garlic, paprika, chili powder, and sprinkle of pepper.  Add tuna; cover and refrigerate.

Prepare grill; grill vegetables of choosing first (although I made steamed broccoli on the side for this round).

Sprinkle with salt; grill to liking (at least three minutes each side for rare-medium rare).

This recipe is wonderful, delicious, and gentle for a non-seafood girl like me.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. If you still have a craving for canned tuna, Genova Tonno (a Chicken of the Sea brand) is really tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'll check it out on the next grocery run.

    ReplyDelete