Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Great Bear

This past weekend was filled with running.  Let me preface this by saying that I'm not a huge fan of running, but as I've wanted to run a 5K for a long, long time.  Whether accurate or not, I think that the ability to run 3.1 miles without stopping is an athletic accomplishment that I should be able to do.  In a way, I feel like completing a 5K solidifies and validates any kind of athletic prowess that I have recently gained.

I would like to say that I've never run a 5K, but that's not an accurate statement.  In college, I completed a 5K, but it was pretty abysmal.  I was out of shape, overweight, and did little more than the occasional elliptical or bike at the college gym.  I ran about half the race; walked about a mile, and then ran the last part.  My memory has blocked my time, but I want to say it was somewhere between 36 and 38 minutes -- maybe more.  I found it embarrassing; I didn't realize that my time would be recorded, and to me, it was just another indicator of how badly out of shape I was.  So, running a whole 5K has always been in the back of my mind as my moment of redemption.

So, some CrossFit friends suggested that I check out the Great Bear Run.  The race raises money for prostate cancer research, and the course would be partially downhill, partially a small grade incline.  My husband and I decided to sign up: why not?  This could be my chance to redeem my awful prior race!

photo courtesy of racewire.com


I really had no desire to start running, though.  Part of why I'm not keen on running is because I've found it to be painful.  The last time I started to run a couple miles on a regular basis, I started having problems with my right IT band.  Second, I find it to be dull and repetitive (which, I guess, it's certainly repetitive).  I just haven't managed to find a love of it, even though I want to complete the occasional run.

I've heard from many people that my CrossFit training would be more than adequate to completely run a 5K.  Considering the nature of CrossFit workouts (including the sprinting I've done in them), I hoped that it would be sufficient to finish in a decent time.  My goal: sub 27 minutes.  I had no idea if it was realistic, but I figured it was worth a shot.

When my husband and I arrived at the race, we registered, got our bibs, and waited for our CrossFit friends to arrive.  It was lovely to be with a group of friends at the start and finish of a race.  We warmed up together, joked around, and even took a "team" picture with the Great Bear mascot.  One friend, a frequent runner, also put me at ease for the race.  His advice: don't run too fast at the beginning because adrenaline will wear out too quickly;  towards the end of the race, find someone to follow, and slowly speed up; the last 100 meters or so, pick up the pace, but not to an all out sprint.  He also showed me the route map and talked me through it.  Brilliant.  Thanks, Mitch!

The weather was overcast and cool, which was perfect running weather.  We headed to the back of the pack, which I will never, ever do again, as it was far too frustrating to pass people when needed.  But, I was able to find my pacing and go.  The first mile was fabulous and fun -- I talked to a CrossFit friend for a bit, and then a total stranger for a few seconds.  As I passed one couple, I heard them say, "well, I'm okay with it when the young people pass me."  I couldn't help but smile.  It wasn't until almost the two mile mark where I felt like the "fun" part of the race had worn off, and I just wanted it to be over.  I had to convince myself to keep on pushing through it.  Not long after, I saw a girl who had stopped and encouraged her to run with me.  Toward the end of the race, I found two people to follow.  I tried to enjoy the route and waved to anyone who was along the way, but it did feel tedious.  I'm a person who likes to know exactly where I stand, and the uncertainty of not knowing my pacing or the remaining distance was frustrating.

As I turned the last corner, I saw Mitch, who had finished strong and was waiting to cheer the rest of the CrossFit crew on.  It was enough energy for me to keep on going.  And then, I saw the red digital clock, which read "25:40."  I was so close to finishing the race sub 26 minutes, and I knew I had to give it my best shot.  My CrossFit competitive nature kicked in full gear. I broke into a sprint, passed one person who I had been following, and finished just on the heels of the other (who was 64 years old!  I was impressed!)  At the end, I was handed a yellow ribbon with a medal.


My husband finished in 24:53 with an average pace of 8:00 per mile; I finished with an average pace of 8:21 in 25:57.  I also found out that the yellow ribbon meant that I had finished third in my age group of 25-29, which was something that I was not expecting.

After the race, I felt amazing.  It was so lovely to have it over, but physically my body felt great, and mentally I felt a whole lot stronger!  I definitely hope to run another 5K in the future, and am toying with the idea of eventually running a 10K.

Crappy college 5K -- you have officially been defeated.  I can run, and I'm so thrilled that CrossFit got me to this point.  It was also a lovely experience to share with my husband and friends.  

So now, I debate my next running step.  Do I try to PR a 5K?  Do a bit more distance running?  How would I have to prepare for a 10K?  I do want to try and improve my running through the POSE Method, but that's a blog post for another time.

For any runners out there, any thoughts on a next (literal) step?

1 comment:

  1. Lind-z, glad I could help make your first (at least first as an ATHLETE!) roadrace fun and successful. Agreed, the post race runner's high is a good thing.
    Two future races that might interest you and Ricky: Sharon Timlin 5K in Hopkinton on 6/18 and the Marathon Sports 5 miler in Weston on 7/21. Both are large (1000+ runners), festive, and well organized events. Not sure yet which one(s) Bets and I will do...

    ReplyDelete