Sunday, May 1, 2011

Make Our Garden Grow

"Make Our Garden Grow," the finale of Leonard Bernstein's Candide, is perhaps one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.  Sung between the main characters, Candide and Cunegonde, and the ensemble, the gist of the song is that the best possible life is one that is personally industrious and hardworking: "We'll do the best we know/ we'll build our house and chop our wood/and make our garden grow."  I tear up every time.  And while I've always loved listening to this song, I never thought of literally applying its message to my life until recently.
When my husband and I bought our house this past fall, we thought the small garden patch box along the fence was cute and endearing.  "Maybe we'll plant a garden!" we exclaimed, although I felt that it would merely be a passing fancy; just something to point out as another reason for why our soon-to-be house was wonderful and charming.
But the more my husband and I have read and talked about leading a clean, healthy lifestyle, the more it made sense to try our hand at growing a vegetable garden.  I'm happy that our house already has a special place to do this.
First, our own garden is the most local way we can get our own food.  We decided to buy seeds and plants from a nearby, family owned farm, and after that, all care, maintenance, and consumption would be on our own property.  Very sustainable and environmentally friendly indeed.
Second, if successful, this should cut down somewhat on our summer produce grocery bill.  The rising cost of fuel is driving up food prices (this article claims that five staple foods are rising in prices, but it essentially translates to the fact that all the foods my husband and I consume, and then some, are rising in cost).  Saving money while doing a small part to limit fuel usage seems like a win-win situation to me.
Third, while it may sounds self-righteous and obnoxious, there is something exciting and slightly romantic about the prospect of eating foods that we've grown all by ourselves.  The idea of literally reaping the fruits and vegetables of our labor makes me feel like we're productive, self-reliant, and competent.  Instead of expecting food to magically appear in the produce section of Roche Bros., we'll work hard to produce it.  Gosh, I hope I don't accidentally kill this garden.
Yesterday, we picked our produce -- some, we planted indoors from seed packets, and others went straight into our little garden patch.


Thyme, cilantro, basil, and tomatoes.  Hopefully we'll see sprouts soon!


Our other purchases from Tilly's, our local farm: an assortment of lettuce, brussel sprouts, and yellow onions.  On the right is a willow tree from dear family friends which we'll plant in our yard.


My husband began weeding our little garden patch.  The bucket to the right will be for our herbs when they're ready to be transplanted.


Nothing better than getting my feet dirty!  I took over the weeding process and cleaned out the pot as well.  Honestly, if I never had to wear shoes again, I think it'd be a very happy individual.  And while I don't have much of a green thumb, there is something very therapeutic and satisfying about weeding.  I like it because I don't have to think very hard about it, and I can see tangible results from it.  Excellent.


My husband has such a knack for making things look beautiful.  Our purchases, including some squash, zucchini, cucumbers, asparagus, and garlic, which he planted in our little garden.  

Cunegonde sings to Candide, "I thought the world was sugar cake/for so our master said/But now I'll teach my hands to bake/ our loaf of daily bread."  These lines carries so much sentiment for me.  I'm learning how satisfying it is to prepare our own food and cook our own meals.  While I'm not making a loaf of daily bread, if I did eat bread, I'd probably try my hand at it.  Why?  In short, it's partially self-serving, but I also help it's a small step to conserving resources.  Food was never meant to be pumped with corn derivatives, processed with unrecognizable ingredients, shaped to an aesthetically pleasing circle or oblong, and wrapped in coloring packages to be sold with expiration dates nine months from now; it was meant to come out of the earth, beautifully rich in color and imperfect shape, by our own hands.  So, we will see how this garden grows, continue to buy food from our local farmers market, and try our best to be clean and healthy eaters.

Any tips for our garden over the next few months?  What have you done lately to lead a clean lifestyle?

1 comment:

  1. So impressive! Can't wait to try some of it (hint, hint)

    Mel

    ReplyDelete