Tuesday, June 21, 2011

An anniversary of sorts


Just over a year ago, I had McDonald's for the last time.  Let me set the scene.  As a child, McDonald's was a common family frequent for meals on the go or in a pinch.  I loved dunking my fries in the sweet n' sour sauce and always debated whether or not to get the quarter pounder with cheese or the nuggets.  (Usually the quarter pounder with cheese won the debate as an adult, but as a child, it was nuggets hands down).  It's salty, fatty food always tasted heavenly, and it was always my favorite fast food pit stop, especially when on road trips or waiting at the airport.  (Without fail, I ALWAYS got McDonald's at the airport).  It was a way to bond with my family -- if my sister and I didn't like what was served for dinner, we'd sneak out of the house and grab a McDonald's meal, giggling with glee the whole time.  Even seeing Super Size Me in college didn't keep me from eating there.  My apologies to Morgan Spurlock -- it's an amazing documentary, and I should have learned my lesson.  At that time, I was just too foolish and in denial about my health, my weight, and sustainability.  Besides, if mainstream America ate McDonald's, it was fine that I did... right?

(How eating McDonald's for 30 days straight adversely affected Spurlock's health)

Fast forward to June 2010.   I had just met Melissa, who challenged me to try a Primal diet.  So, on June 20, I begrudgingly had my McDonald's hurrah.  After meeting with some friends, my husband and I drove to McDonald's where I inhaled a Diet Coke and a quarter pounder with cheese meal.  It felt like my last meal.  When would I be able to have my next McDonald's fix?  Could I make a month without going to the golden arches?  I felt like I had set myself for failure and I was pretty cranky and annoyed.

The first two weeks were rough.  Feeling like I couldn't eat something made me more resentful.  Plus, I had given up Diet Coke, my staple drink, and was experiencing serious food and caffeine withdrawals.  I wanted to drive to Micky D's immediately and say "screw you!" to this unrealistic healthy lifestyle some person I barely knew had convinced me to follow and devour a 20 piece chicken McNugget meal in my car.  But as time went on, it got easier.  Over the past several months, I've probably seriously considered going to McDonald's three times, but I always managed to talk myself out of it.  I thought this change would be too difficult and unsustainable, but since that fateful June day, I haven't looked back.  And I'm proud to say that I've been McDonald's free for a whole year.  And it's been great.  My cholesterol and blood pressure levels are impeccable, and I've received clean bills of health from my doctor, who is also inspired by the health changes I've made.  Yes, there are times when I get nostalgic and sentimental for my McDonald's memories, but I'm happy and proud that I no longer frequent there.

Is there any lifestyle change that you've made that's been easier than you thought?  Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment