Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Why?

Confession of the day: today, I had a donut at work.  Specifically, this guy: the chocolate glazed donut from Dunkin' Donuts:
(from grubgrade.com)


I could try and justify why I ate this delectable delight (which it seemed at the time).  But, it doesn't change the fact that I willingly and happily put it in my body.  Let's just be clear: they were brought into work.  The chocolate glazed looked sooooo good, and as you all know, I love chocolate.  So, I ate it.  And for the first fifteen minutes or so, it seemed like a fine idea, even if it wasn't clean or Paleo, or Primal, or whatever.  I mean, everyone needs a cheat, right?

The problems began soon after: upset, sour stomach, feeling bloated, sluggish, and all around crummy.  The stuffy nose and sniffles began to develop, too.  If I were to put it in a visual it would be something like this:


This:

(steveklotz.com)




And I'm not gonna lie, I kind of wanted to do this:

(ehow,com)

But I didn't.  Instead, I dragged my sorry self to CrossFit, forced my body through a WOD, and I still feel horrible.  I feel like my WOD could have been better, and I'm going to blame the donut for it.  Donut, you caused a lot of pain.  I don't like you right now.  Irony of the moment: the donut couldn't care less.  So why did I let it have so much control over my life?

Clearly, I am losing my tolerance for junk food.  Processed food and I are not friends.  I know this.  So why do I keep eating it?  Weekly, I insist on putting something in my body that I know will not agree with me.  Saturday, it was part of a scone; today, it was a donut.  Most of the time, I don't feel guilty about it (although admittedly, sometimes I do).  It's not until after I've eaten it that I feel that twinge of remorse, which is typically based on how my body reacts to it.  Or sometimes, as I eat said junk food, I realize that it doesn't taste as as delicious as it used to, and then I get the "why did I even bother eating that garbage?" thoughts.

So, do I get myself off the junk?  How?  Or do I allow these "cheats" and deal with the consequences?  Can I learn to quit the processed food and eat clean?  What's the best way to hold myself accountable to quit crappy food?

Do you eat clean?  Any tips or advice?  Or, are you struggling with quitting processed food?  How do you handle these vices?

4 comments:

  1. You need to avoid grains, especially gluten grains, like an alcoholic avoids alcohol. One day at a time. No cheat days or you'll break down. Keep some alternatives on hand, such as jerkies, nuts, cheeses. It'll get easier as time goes by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. eat clean-Tosca Reno is a wonderful book as is natural prescriptions and 1008 home remedies!! Dunkin' will always be there-as will your upset stomach when you are done eating that delicious, chocolate glazed 'donut'! Went out for 'fat tuesday' with Cayden today and all I had on my lettuce turkey wrap was a little mayo and am sure I felt like you after :( Its sooooo crazy! Have a list of food we are all allergic/sensitive to and am sure you probably fall into similar categories. Did however find that by taking RAW enzymes (garden of life) I so far can eat some seafood!!!!NO WHEAT, SOY and only dairy ok is mozzarella (limited:( (thats the short list- you'd be maybe excited, but def. impressed at the changes here-KEEP it up Lindsey! my goal is to work my way into the grey dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh and enjoy life makes a pretty delish "boom CHOCO boom'bar thats just as good, and doesn't hurt afterwards ;0 and the no bread bread crumbs are ener-g-got an awesome wonderful list and Caydens beyond excited-told him you would make enough 'granola' bars to last the whole summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I need to make a commitment to clean eating! I think I'm going to use Lent as the perfect opportunity to finally go gluten-free, cold turkey.

    Frank -- you're right about no cheats. I'm planning on investing in some great dark chocolate as my "cheat." I may need you to continue to remind me about this!

    Andrea -- I have more clothes waiting for you! Where can you buy the "boom choco boom" bar?

    ReplyDelete