Saturday, March 5, 2011

An easy (and tasty) fish dish!

So, my friends, I am venturing out into the world of eating fish.  It has actually been quite exciting.

My husband and I agreed that he would be the one to prepare the fish and I would be the official taste tester.  (I think it's a great arrangement, if I do say so myself).

Last week, we went to our local Roche Bros. and spoke to the nice man at the seafood counter.  After explaining to him that I am terrified of seafood, he recommended tilapia.  He wrapped up three small fillets and we headed home.

Since I knew I would beat my husband home, I decided to put some acorn squash in the oven.  I had a brief crisis moment, however, because I usually pour brown sugar over acorn squash and bake it.  After several minutes of contemplation and panic, I cut the squash in half, scooped out the seeds, put a pat of butter in each, and sprinkled cinnamon and and ground ginger on each half.  I baked at 400 degrees for almost 50 minutes in a pyrex dish with about 1/3 an inch of water in it.  End result:

OMG -- it was, by far, the best acorn squash I've ever had.  Ever.  The whole house had an aroma that smelled like holiday baking.  Delicious.

For our tilapia, my husband mixed:

-1/4 cup dijon mustard
-1 tablespoon olive oil
-1 teaspoon powdered thyme
-1 1/2 tablespoon capers (drained and rinsed)
-1/2 fresh lemon, squeezed
-dash of sea salt
-4 Backyard Farms tomatoes, cut into wedges

and poured it all over the fish (which he cooked in a CorningWare dish at 425 for almost 20 minutes). Make sure you check the fish as it cooks, because I don't think it's supposed to take that long, but for some reason, in our oven, it did. 

End result:


Quite tasty.  While I still have an inclination toward my beef and chicken, it had a great flavor and did not taste "like fish."  Tilapia is pretty moist, and honestly, I think the dijon mustard, capers, and lemon offered a strong enough flavor so it didn't seem like I was eating fish.  Brilliant!

Any new foods that you've tried lately and enjoyed?

No comments:

Post a Comment